09 March 2011

Separates for Spring Part 1

Although I have a love for cute little dresses, separates are really where it's at. I love pairing different pieces of my wardrobe to make new looks, especially with statement pieces. Tonight (since I'm an insomniac I might as well blog) I want to highlight some skirts and shorts that I love.

It's getting warmer, and I've made the big step of pulling out my shorts and mini skirts and putting away my sweaters. This is a love/hate time of year for my closet. I love it because it means warm weather and sunny days. I hate it because it's so much harder to put together a "wow" outfit when it's 100 degrees outside, and really I just want to wear the bare minimum. I love layering sweaters, scarves, and coats in the winter. But alas, I'll just have to buy some super cute mini skirts and tanks to please my inner fashion diva.

Let's start with some basic shorts. Printed shorts are starting to grow on me, but so far I haven't been gutsy enough to purchase a pair. I like to stick to simple, understated shorts. J.Crew's 3 inch chinos are amazing! I bought my first pair last summer and practically lived in them. They're comfortable, cute, and great quality. They come in other lengths as well, but I'm entirely too short to pull off longer ones.




Left: J. Crew 3" chino
Right: Everyday Woven Shorts from Forever21

Moving on to skirts, everyone needs a good solid skirt in their closet. I am very picky when it comes to buying a basic skirt (or any basics for that matter). I always looks for something that's above the knee (I'm petite), not too short, and versatile.


Twist Hem Skirt by Lucca Couture from Urban Outfitters


(This color may seem odd for a basic, but you must remember I'm a student at Clemson. We wear A LOT of orange.)
Pleated Tweed Skirt by Adam from the Outnet

Finally, every girl needs a fun and flirty skirt! I am in love with both of these picks! I'm a total sucker for anything with a floral print and even more so for anything chiffon. Printed skirts are definitely a statement piece, so remember to wear a more subtle blouse and/or cardigan.


Tropical Garden Crepe Chiffon Skirt from Forever21


Whitley Skirt Mini Printed by Lilly Pulitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment