23 July 2011

Rocky Road Brownies

I have a killer addiction to chocolate, and I LOVE to bake. Brownies are my go to when I get a spur of the moment baking bug. They're so easy to make, and hardly impossible to mess up. Brownies are also pretty versatile. You can throw in basically whatever you have lying around in your kitchen (within reason).

Last night I got the urge to bake after dinner. I had an open bag of marshmallows from another recipe that I needed to use before they got hard. I decided to make rocky road brownies. I adapted the basic brownie recipe from Hersheys.com for my brownie adventure.



Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • handful of chopped walnuts
  • handful of chopped pecans
  • handful of chopped Hershey's dark chocolate squares (or semi-sweet morsels)
  • about 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
  • about 1 1/2 cup marshmallows
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9-inch square baking pan (or a pan of similar size).

Stir together butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. I used my electric mixer for the entire mixing process, but it's not crucial to use an electric mixer. Add eggs. Slowly mix in flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. 

This is where I started adding at will. Please forgive me for the vague measurements. I literally threw in handfuls of nuts and just eyeballed about how much was enough. Again, it's nearly impossible to mess up brownies, so don't fret over the vague measurements. Mix in walnuts, pecans, and chocolate chunks. Drizzle chocolate syrup in and mix. The chocolate syrup makes the brownies fudgier, so use you're own discretion here. I like my brownies really fudgy, but if you want cake like brownies then hold back or exclude it all together. This chocolate syrup trick works with all brownies, even mixes, if you want to make your brownies really gooey. Hot fudge ice cream topping works too.

Spread batter into greased pan, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove brownies from oven, and sprinkle marshmallows on top of partially baked brownies. Warning: the marshmallows make the finished product very  gooey and messy (but also delicious)! Add as many marshmallows as you like. I covered mine because I needed to use up my bag of marshmallows. Return the pan to oven for another 2-3 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly golden. Remove from oven, let cool, and ENJOY!!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh these look incredible. Even though I should not be thinking about them pre-recruitment. But I want them anyway!
    Bisous,
    Rachel
    http://lovealamode.wordpress.com

    P.S. I'm hosting my first blog giveaway right now (an online shopping spree to Zestii!) and I would love if you stopped by to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm supposed to be dieting right now, but I couldn't help myself either.

    I love giveaways! I'll definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete